Friday, August 30, 2013

DVD Haul: August 18,2013,July 27,2013 & July Something Something 2013.

Well,it's been a very long time ever since I've made the last of this series of posts and now I'm back with 7 DVDs to show you.Those seven DVDs are (in alphabetical order): Dreamgirls,Evil Dead (2013),Flight,Oblivion,Rocky,The Bridge On The River Kwai and The Exorcist.Now,Imma show them to you according to the dates I bought 'em.


DVDs I bought July Something Something 2013:

Well,yeah I intended it to sound like that since I really forgot when I bought the DVDs that day.Ugh.

First up is...



Dreamgirls which is directed by Bill Condon and stars Jamie Foxx,Beyonce' Knowles,Eddie Murphy,Danny Glover,Jennifer Hudson & Anika Noni Rose.The film tells the story of a trio of black female soul singers and their cross over to the pop charts in the early 1960s.The film won 2 Oscars for Best Achievement In Sound Mixing (Michael Minkler,Bob Beemer & Willie D. Burton) and Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role (Jennifer Hudson).Actually,this DVD isn't really mine instead,it's my big bro's (He's a huge Beyonce' fan) but since it's located in my DVD rack,it's also partly mine.You know what I mean? Anyway,my first impression on the film is that it's gonna be good and just fun.Dreamgirls is available on DVD for P100.

Next up is...Rocky.



Thank God I finally found this film sold individually from a box set.I've been looking this up ever since.And now,I've finally got a hold of the undisputed champion's first outing in my DVD collection.Behold Rocky! Rocky is directed by John G.Avildsen and stars Sylvester Stallone,Talia Shire,Burt Young,Carl Weathers,Burgess Meredith and Thayer David.Rocky tells the story of a small-time boxer who gets a supremely rare chance to fight the heavy-weight champion in a bout in which he strives to go to the distance for his self-respect.Rocky won 3 Oscars for Best Director (John G.Avildsen),Best Film Editing (Richard Halsey,Scott Conrad) and Best Picture (Irvin Winkler,Robert Chartoff).I've been told that this sports-drama film is one of the most inspiring ever and I think I would have to agree with that saying even though I haven't seen it yet.Anyway,this film launched Sly to Hollywood fame and is considered as one of the best films you should see before you die.Rocky is available on DVD for P175-P199 depending on where you purchase it.

DVD I bought last July 27,2013:

Well,I only bought one DVD that day and it is...

The Exorcist:




Ahh yes.The Exorcist is also one of those hard-to-find movies on DVD and thank God I got mine.It's the only remaining copy in the store I bought from.The Exorcist is directed by William Friedkin and stars Max von Sydow,Ellen Burstyn,Linda Blair,Lee J.Cobb,Kitty Winn,Jack MacGowran and Jason Miller.Too bad,this version of the film isn't the director's cut which spans a runtime of 132 minutes and includes additional footage.Still,it's great to finally have this in my hands.The Exorcist is available on DVD for P199.

DVDs I bought last August 18,2013.

Last August 18,I bought 4 DVDs.3 modern films,1 classic.Here they are:

Evil Dead (2013)





Well,it's been said to be "The most terrifying film you will ever experience." well,I have to see it first for me to believe that statement.But judging from the cover and the marketing material,it already seems to be terrifying due to all the blood.The film is both remake slash re-imagining of the 1981 Sam Raimi horror classic and since I watched the cult-classic Evil Dead 2,I can't wait to see this for its'new darker modern spin on the horror classic that spawned two successful sequels.Evil Dead is available on DVD for P550,which is included in Magnavision's Buy 2 Take 1 promo.

Flight


 


TIME Magazine says that Flight "soars",well I couldn't agree more.The film is actually great and I might say it's underrated.The film doesn't seem to get much attention because people these days love CG-action fests but to those who would watch any type of movie (specially dramas),Flight definitely comes in recommended.I wouldn't say any more because I'm saving them all for the review,but all I could say is that this film truly is great but sadly underrated.Flight is available on DVD for P475 and is also included in Magnavision's Buy 2 Take 1 promo.

Oblivion




Oblivion might be one of my favorite films of this year probably because I loved the cinematography and the film itself despite the lack of action.But it's all okay.I loved this film for what it was,and in my perspective I look up to it as a modern tribute to Science Fiction films both old and new.And one of the main reasons why I loved this movie is also because of the human drama to it.That's all.All I could say is that this is also a good movie but it's up to you whether you'll like it or not.I can't wait to see this movie again on DVD.By the way,I love that slipcover despite it being not shiny like the one I imagined.I still love it though,it adds value to the item.Oblivion is available on DVD for P750 and is also included in Magnavision's Buy 2 Take 1 Promo.

The Bridge On The River Kwai



This film was recommended to me by one of my moviegeek friends Kuya Dom,so I decided to get it for a cheap price of P100.Great price,great film.I really don't doubt that this is a great one,'cause it's directed by the man who helmed Lawrence of Arabia which sadly,until I haven't seen due to schedule conflicts.Back to topic,this looks like a great addition to my war films section in my collection.David Lean's The Bridge On River Kwai is available to own on DVD for P100.

Well,that's the end of the list.Those are my 7 "not so recently" purchased movies on DVD.I suppose this is a very late post,pardon me but I'll see ya til the next DVD Haul Update.Thanks for reading.

*Dreamgirls,The Exorcist,Evil Dead,Flight,Oblivion and The Bridge On The River Kwai are all available to own on DVD distributed for home viewing by 
 Magnavision Home Video.

**Rocky is available on DVD distributed by 
Viva Video Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment